“WOMEN RUN THE WORLD” THEME MARKS 10 YEAR MILESTONE OF…
MORE MAGAZINE/FITNESS MAGAZINE WOMEN’S HALF-MARATHON IN NYC ON APRIL 14
(MediaQuire) U.S. Congressman Marsha Blackburn, Girl Scouts of the USA CEO Anna Maria Chávez and The View’s Elisabeth Hasselbeck Among Honorees. 10,000 Expected for 10th Anniversary Race of the Biggest Women’s-Only Half in the Country. Alison Sweeney and Mika Brzezinski to Co-Host and Run the Race for the First Time
Marking the 10th Anniversary of the More Magazine/Fitness Magazine Women’s Half-Marathon, a New York Road Runners event in Central Park on April 14, the race will celebrate with a “Women Run the World” theme and honor 10 high-powered women who are making a difference in the world—leaders who have changed the face of business, education, women’s health, sports and more.
The 10 “Women Run the World” honorees will kick-off the event with a special salute and will be presented an award following the race. Each honoree will form a team of nine friends and colleagues to join them on race day to be recognized at the event. The honorees are:
- U.S. Congressman Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee will be honored in the Government and Politics category. As a small business woman, author, mother, grandmother, and Member of Congress, Blackburn has dedicated her service in making Tennessee and America a better, more prosperous, and freer place.
- Danielle Butin, founder of AFYA Foundation, which supports ongoing health initiatives in Africa and the Caribbean by supplying critically needed surplus medical supplies, hospital equipment and humanitarian provisions, will be honored for her Global Relief efforts.
- Anna Maria Chávez, Chief Executive Officer of Girl Scouts of the USA will be honored in the Girls and Education category. Chávez is a lifetime member Girl Scout and an award-winning community leader. Chávez is the first woman of color to lead the organization, a role she has held since 2011.
- Chief Petty Officer Hsiao-Chin Chiang, honored in the Armed Forces category, has been a Hospital Corpsman for 13 years and has deployed on ships and to the Middle East. She has been a Command Fitness leader since 2007, and has participated in several marathons, including five U.S. Marine Corps Marathons.
- Linda Descano, CFAÒ is being honored in the Female Business Leader category. Linda serves as a Managing Director and Head of Digital Partnerships, Content and Social for North America Marketing at Citi. In addition, Linda is also President and CEO of Women & Co., a service of Citi that brings women relevant financial content and thoughtful commentary to get them thinking and talking about money.
- Dr. Beth Baughman DuPree, Medical Director of the Breast Health Program of Holy Redeemer Health System will be honored in the Women’s Heath category for her passionate efforts in encouraging her patients to integrate healing therapies, whether it is through spiritual guidance, grief counseling, fitness programs, acupuncture, nutritional counseling, Reiki, Yoga, or massage. She is the founder of The Healing Consciousness Foundation that provides funding for these essential healing therapies.
- Jill Eisenhard, founder & executive director of the Red Hook Initiative, will be honored for her extraordinary relief efforts in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. She created a model for community development and social change that paves the way for residents to empower themselves and change their neighborhood.
- Jenny Fletcher, a model and Triathlete who earned her first-ever professional victory at the 2012 IRONMAN 70.3 Branson, will be honored in Women’s Sports category.
- Elisabeth Hasselbeck, the Emmy-winning co-host of The View, celiac, founder of NoGii and best-selling author of the “G-Free Diet” and “Deliciously G-Free”, will be honored in the Media category for her fervent support of women’s health and fitness in the media.
- Courtney E. Martin, will be honored in the Women’s Empowerment category for her efforts in reinventing feminism through her books, speeches and blogs. She is Editor Emeritus at Feministing.com, Founding Director of the Solutions Journalism Network, and speaks widely on Millenials’ re-imagining success and social change.
More Magazine/Fitness Magazine Women’s Half-Marathon (Central Park)
Sunday, April 14, 7 a.m. – noon
Sponsor Pavilion, Naumberg Bandshell off of the 72nd Street Transverse
- On race day, supporters and spectators are welcome to cheer on the runners and also visit the Sponsor Pavilion to enjoy live music, complimentary samples, sweepstakes and fitness expert led stretch outs.
- Pre-interviews/Race Day interview opportunities: “Women Run The World” honorees, Co-hosts Alison Sweeney and Mika Brzezinski, More/FITNESS Editors and runners.
- Photo opportunities on Race Day: 7:45, “Women Run the World” honorees, 8 a.m. race start at West Drive near 63rd Street; 9:15 a.m. (approx.) runner finish at 72nd Transverse.
- B-roll available
About 10th Annual More Magazine/Fitness Magazine Women’s Half-Marathon
Alison Sweeney (Biggest Loser, Days of our Lives) and Mika Brzezinski (MSNBC’s Morning Joe) will co-host the 10th Anniversary of the More Magazine/Fitness Magazine Women’s Half-Marathon in Central Park on April 14. More and FITNESS magazines, in partnership with the New York Road Runners, Sweeney and Brzezinski, will welcome 10,000 runners and spectators from around the world for the biggest women’s-only half-marathon in the country.
Athleta and Skechers are the presenting sponsors, Duane Reade, Oakley and Tonalin are the official product sponsors, Hole in the Wall Gang is the charitable partner, Crystal Light and CARE are the Expo sponsors, CocoaVia the sampling sponsor and The Better Show is the official media partner.
For more information please visit: www.morefitnesshalf.com
News delivered by MediaQuire!
ABOUT MEDIAQUIRE and MediaQuire Expert Sources
MediaQuire is a press release service distributing your news to traditional and social media outlets, blogs and more. We can deliver your news to custom targeted media contacts. We have access to a an extensive media database and deliver your news directly to editors, journalists, free lance writers and broadcast producers. MediaQuire offers a targeted media relations program to help you reach your goals. To promote your project you need a well written press release and access to a comprehensive media database.
Visit: MediaQuire.com and Experts.MediaQuire.com
Connect with MediaQuire on Facebook and Twitter!